ENDOCRINOLOGY CONSULTATIVE SERVICES
Endocrinology is the field of medicine concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to hormones.
Hormones are substances made by endocrine glands and are secreted into your blood stream. They regulate many bodily functions such as metabolism, growth, sexual development and blood sugar. Endocrine glands and the hormones they secrete are collectively referred to as the endocrine system.
Plante Endocrine Consultative services
- Thyroid disorders- underactive, overactive, thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer
- Type 1 diabetes- insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring technology
- Type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes and obesity- lifestyle prevention and weight loss
- Gestational diabetes and Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Osteoporosis and bone health
- Women’s health/menopause
- Pituitary and adrenal disorders
- Men’s health/Testosterone deficiency
- Thyroid Ultrasound and Fine-Needle Aspiration biopsy
THYROID US AND FINE-NEEDLE ASPIRATION
Thyroid nodules are common; 90% of thyroid nodules are benign, not harmful or cancerous. Your doctor may detect a nodule by feeling it on exam or it may be found incidentally when you have other tests performed on your neck, such as carotid ultrasound. Thyroid cancer is found in about 8% of men and 4% of women. Risk factors, such as radiation exposure to the neck along with thyroid ultrasound, are used to determine if nodules need fine-needle aspiration or biopsy.
Ultrasound (sonogram) uses sound waves to map out a picture of your thyroid gland. This is the best test to look at features of thyroid nodules and determine whether biopsy is needed.
Fine-needle aspiration biopsy uses a small needle inserted into the thyroid gland, usually under ultrasound guidance, to sample cells or fluid to be examined under a microscope. The procedure has a high sensitivity for differentiating between benign (non cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) nodules.